KPX sets up dispatching plans by analyzing the power flow of the transmission lines in order to prevent overloading the equipment and keep system voltage at an adequate level.
To prepare in case of an equipment or line outage, various actions are taken to have the system running smoothly, such as fault analysis, power flow calculation, stability analysis, adjustment of outage schedule, designation of the safe operation range of the transmission lines, and the application of the cascading fault prevention system.
If a transmission line connecting a large scale power generation site fails, all the generators within the site may be taken offline.
To prepare for such cases, control circuits that can rapidly take some of the generators offline in order to have the rest of the generators keep functioning. Stability analysis for this sort of case become the basis for its contingency plan.
- 01Monitor and control the power system
- 02Maintain balance of the electricity supply and demand
- 03Efficiently operate the electricity market
- 04Reliably operate the power system
- 05Prevent and quickly recover from outages
- 06Control system voltage and frequency
Real Time Balancing of the Supply and Demand
- Adjust the output of all the generators so that the generation cost is minimized throughout the changing demands
- Maintain adequate reserve (4,000MW) at all times